Sunday, October 2, 2011

Why Did I Write a Memoir?

I led a very interesting life. Not a normal life by most people's standard but it's mine.  Throughout the years, when asked about my life, I would share bits and pieces. The response was always, "Wow, you should write a book."  Yes, I thought, some day I'll write about my drug use and bad choices. I'll write about being beat up by a pimp, wanting to end my life, joining a religious commune and eventually establishing Costa Rica's first Christian half-way house for street girls. 

Working full-time and raising four incredible children, who are now incredible young adults, did not leave me time to write.  But then -- I found retirement and a great writers group here at Lincoln Hills.  I didn't think I had 50 pages in me to write. The writers group, and later the small editing group I joined, encouraged me to keep writing.  I now have close to 400 pages.

Writing a memoir probes the recesses of the mind, including all the hidden places that scream out, "I don't want to remember this!"  But it's also therapeutic and exhilarating.  This 18 month writing journey has allowed me to explore, remember and feel.  And put on paper those memories and feelings.  The experience opened doors for me to reunite with girls from the half-way house in Costa Rica and heal past hurts.

I have written for my children, grandchildren and friends.  I look forward to sharing my story with you.  I'll keep everyone in the loop about the publishing process through this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment